Welcome
Welcome to UNCLE ZAP'S AUDIO ZAP & INFO DEPOT

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

BRAIN FOOD LIKE WINE ETC

THOUGHTS
FOOD AND DRINK

BRAIN FOOD LIKE WINE ETC

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 6:55 am

RECIPES AND SUCH FOR WINE AND MIND STIMULATION
AMD 4.7 Ghz Octi-core, 32 g ram

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Highscores: 23

Re: BRAIN FOOD LIKE WINE ETC

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY
BEN FRANKLIN

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

A FEW HINTS AND THE GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR A SIMPLIFIED METHOD

My methods are not what you will find in most wine recipes and procedures. I bend the rules quite a bit and rarely have a failure. I do not use wine grapes but just about any fruit or drinkable liquid as my recipes show. I am not aiming for wines of the normal sense. I like my wine very sweet and drink it like a sherry or liqueur.
FIRST OFF THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT TOUCHES THE WINE BEFORE IT GOES IN. THE JARS ARE BEST DONE IN A DISH WASHER THEN THOROUGHLY RINSE WITH HOT TAP WATER. SYPHONING HOSE NEEDS TO BE CLEANED EVERY TIME ITS USED. IF YOU DON'T GET IT CLEAN ENOUGH THE WINE COULD END UP AS SALAD DRESSING. VINEGAR. Alcohol ferments, if left in contact with the air, inevitably become home to bacteria of the genus Acetobacter and aerobic yeasts, called Mycoderma aceti, that consume alcohol and transform it into acetic acid.

FOR EQUIPMENT NEEDED :
3 1 GALLON GLASS JARS WIDE MOUTH WITH LIDS
1 3 FT LONG 1/2 " SYPHON HOSE WITH 1/2" LONG DIAGONAL CUT ON ONE END
1 BUBBLER OR EQUIVALENT (SEE TEXT AND BUBBLER.BMP)
START YEAST IN 1/4 CUP WARM WATER AND 1 TEASPOON OF SUGAR. LET SIT TILL BUBBLY.
PUT ALL FRUIT AND ABOUT 3 LB. SUGAR IN 1 GALLON JAR.
ACCORDING TO RECIPE TO FILL TO 1 " FROM TOP WITH WATER THAT HAS BOILED AND COOLED TO 160 - 180F. BOILING ALSO HELPS STERILIZE AND HELPS KEEPING THE WINE FROM TURNING TO VINEGAR. FOR SOME FRUITS IT IS BEST TO BOIL THE FRUIT IN THAT WATER AND COOK THEM IN ORDER TO GET MORE FLAVOUR OUT OF THE FRUIT. COOKING THE FRUIT WILL ALSO CHANGE THE FLAVOUR COMPARED TO RAW. I MADE MY RASPBERRY WINE A NUMBER OF TIMES, ONCE COOKED AND THE REST RAW. I LIKED THE FLAVOUR OF IT BUT FOUND A MORE "FRESH RASPBERRY" TASTE WITH THE RAW SINCE IT LEFT MORE OF THE ACIDS INTACT. AFTER THE FIRST TASTE OF THAT RAW VERSION, YOU WANTED TO RUN YOUR TONGUE AROUND INSIDE YOUR MOUTH CHECKING FOR SEEDS, THEN THE ALCOHOL BECAME NOTICEABLE.
LET MIXTURE COOL TO LUKE WARM BEFORE ADDING THE YEAST MIXTURE. ADD YEAST MIXTURE AND STIR.
PUT LID ON JAR LOOSELY TO LET PRESSURE ESCAPE. LET BREW AND BUBBLE AWAY FOR ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS STIRRING OCCASIONALLY. WHEN THERE IS NO LONGER ANY BUBBLE ACTIVITY , SYPHON OFF TO ANOTHER JAR. THIS MAY HAPPEN IN 2 WEEKS OR MAYBE NOT FOR UP TO 6 WEEKS. A WATCHFULL EYE IS THE BEST MEASURE. SINCE I PREFER A VERY SWEET DESSERT WINE AND MOST OF THESE RECIPES ARE OF A DESSERT TYPE A PRONOUNCED SWEETNESS SHOULD BE NOTICEABLE DURING THE WHOLE BREWING CYCLE.
IT WILL LIKELY START GETTING DRIER AS IT FERMENTS AND ADDING SUGAR TO TASTE WILL KEEP IT UP. I LIKE IT ABOUT AS SWEET AS A HARD CANDY OR AS SWEET AS 'JELLO' JELLY. THIS GIVES IT A LIQUEUR FINISH USUALLY WITH THE FRUIT FLAVORS COMING THROUGH VERY FRESH. OF COURSE YOUR OWN TASTES CAN GOVERN THE SWEETNESS. JUST DON'T TRY TO GO TOO DRY OR IT COULD END UP BEING VINEGAR. SHOULD THAT HAPPEN SAVE A BOTTLE FOR COOKING WITH OR IN A SALAD DRESSING.
THE NEXT STEP AFTER THE FIRST SYPHON IS TO ADD ENOUGH WATER TO THE FRUIT LEFT OVER TO COVER WELL. LET THIS CONTINUE BREWING. ADDITION OF A FRUIT JUICE AT THIS STAGE WILL GREATLY IMPROVE THE FLAVOR OF THE SECOND BREW. APPLE OR WELCHES GRAPE JUICE ARE MY FAVORITES. IT WILL PRODUCE A FLATTER TASTING WINE THAT WILL BE THE PERFECT THING TO ADD TO THE FIRST MIXTURE TO KEEP IT TOPPED UP TO WITHIN 1 " FROM THE TOP DURING THE REST OF THE BREWING CYCLE. EACH TIME YOU RACK OFF IT WILL LEAVE A COUPLE OF OUNCES OF WINE AND SEDIMENT BEHIND THUS LOWERING THE LEVEL. ITS BETTER THAN ADDING WATER AND THINNING IT DOWN. TREAT THIS SECOND BREW
THE SAME WAY AS THE FIRST BY SYPHONING IT OFF AFTER IT BREWS FOR A COUPLE WEEKS. AS THEY BOTH SETTLE OUT , RACK OFF EVERY COUPLE WEEKS TILL SPARKLING CLEAR AND NO NEW SEDIMENT APPEARS IN THE BOTTOM. BE PATIENT , IT WILL CLEAR UP WITH TIME. AND DON'T BE SCARED TO LEAVE AN EXTRA OUNCE OR TWO IN THE BOTTOM WHEN SYPHONING OFF. HOLDING THE END OF THE TUBING IN THE CLEAREST AREAS OF THE WINE AND AVOIDING THE SEDIMENT IN THE BOTTOM AND THE FOAM ON TOP. THE DIAGONAL CUT ON THE SYPHON HOSE IS WHERE THIS WORKS. THIS LEAVES A HALF INCH IN THE BOTTOM. THIS WILL
ENSURE A CLEARER SYPHON. IT IS ALSO THE BEST TIME TO HAVE A TASTE AND ADJUST SUGAR LEVEL IF NEEDED. BY THE WAY. ADDING MORE SUGAR STARTS UP THE BREWING CYCLE MORE VIGOROUS (EVEN AFTER IT SEEMS TO BE LIFELESS AND STOPPED BREWING). IT WILL BREW THAT SUGAR AND FRUIT FLAVOURS INTO ALCOHOL SO LOWER THE SWEETNESS AND RAISE THE ALCOHOL CONTENT. WITH THE 1/2" LEFT AFTER SYPHONING THE JAR CAN BE TURNED ON ITS SIDE AND LEFT TO SETTLE AWHILE THEN CAREFULLY POUR OFF THE CLEANEST. LESS WASTAGE THIS WAY. WHATS LEFT IS DRINKABLE BUT DO NOT USE THIS AS YOUR TASTE TEST FOR ADJUSTING SUGAR LEVELS. THERE IS A BIT OF YEAST IN IT AND WILL HAVE A YEASTY FLAVOUR AND WILL BE QUITE DIFFERENT TASTING THAN THE CLEAR. POUR SOME OF THE CLEAR BEFORE SYPHONING FOR TASTING. I GENERALLY END UP WITH A TABLESPOONFULL LEFT OUT OF A GALLON JAR. GETTING ANY SEDIMENT INTO THE PRE-SYPHONED WINE IS NOT A BIG DEAL. IT WILL JUST SETTLE OUT AND YOU'LL GET IT NEXT RACKING.
RIGHT FROM THE START THE USE OF A BUBBLER IS PROBABLY BEST. THIS KEEPS THE OXYGEN FROM OXYDIZING THE WINE AND YET LETS C02 ESCAPE WITHOUT BUILDING UP PRESSURE. IT SHOULD BE USED RIGHT THROUGH TILL BOTTLING TIME. A PIECE OF PLASTIC AND A RUBBER BAND WILL WORK PLENTY WELL. PIERCE A HOLE WITH A PIN TO SLOWLY RELEASE PRESSURE. OR EVEN JUST A LOOSELY SET ON LID. IF A BUBBLER DOESN'T SEEM TO BE DOING ANYTHING SUSPECT AN AIR LEAK. TRY TAPING THE JAR LID ON TO THE JAR. I USE BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE. IT SEALS UP THE LID REAL GOOD AND GUARANTEES AN AIR TIGHT SEAL. IF STILL NOTHING THEN SUSPECT A LEAK SOMEWHERE ON THE LID. FOR A SIMPLE HOMEMADE BUBBLER I MADE LOOK AT 'BUBBLER.BMP' IN 'WINE ACCESSORIES'. ITS THE WATER THAT FORMS THE ONE WAY VALVE EFFECT SINCE WINE PRODUCES SO MUCH C02 IT WILL ALWAYS BE A POSITIVE PRESSURE. WITH THE BUBBLER YOU SHOULD BE GETTING A BUBBLE ABOUT 15-30 SECONDS APART DURING THE EARLY STAGES OF FERMENTATION. LATER ON AFTER A COUPLE OF SYPHONS IT WILL SLOW DOWN TO JUST ABOUT NOTHING. CHECK WATER LEVEL IN BUBBLER AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. USING A LOOSE FITTING LID ON THE BUBBLER SLOWS DOWN THE WATER EVAPORATING. WITHOUT A LID CHECK DAILY TO KEEP LEVEL NEAR MARK MADE.
I HAVE FOUND THAT USING A SMALL FLASHLIGHT IS A GOOD WAY TO CHECK CLARITY. SHINE THE LIGHT INTO THE SIDE OF THE JAR AND LOOK ON OTHER SIDE TO SEE AMOUNT OF LIGHT COMING THROUGH. DURING EARLY STAGES OF BREWING THE LIGHT WILL BE WELL FILTERED OUT. WHEN IT STARTS TO LOOK CLEAR THE LIGHT WILL SHOW ANY SEDIMENT STILL SUSPENDED AS WELL AS ANY SEDIMENT SETTLED TO THE BOTTOM OF JAR. ONCE SETTLED OUT TILL TOTALLY CLEAR WITH NO SEDIMENT , BOTTLE AND LET SIT FOR AT LEAST
6-12 MONTHS BEFORE OPENING. IT IS PRETTY IMPORTANT TO BOTTLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER IT IS SETTLED CLEAR AND STOPPED BREWING. TOO SOON AND IT WILL HAVE SEDIMENT AND PROBABLY BE BUBBLY , TOO LATE AND YOU LOOSE ALCOHOL CONTENT TO EVAPORATION AS WELL AS SOME OF THE FRUITINESS. I LIKE TO RACK OFF FAIRLY OFTEN SO WHEN I CAN WAIT FOR 1 WEEK AFTER A RACKING AND FIND NO SEDIMENT WHATSOEVER AND IT LOOKS CRYSTAL CLEAR , THEN THATS WHEN I BOTTLE IT. THE GOAL IS TO HAVE A CLEAN WINE THAT WON'T REQUIRE DECANTING. A PRACTICE NOT USED MUCH ANYMORE. THE MARKET
WON'T TOLERATE SEDIMENT IN WINES THESE DAYS SO THE ART OF DECANTING HAS BEEN LOST TO HISTORY JUST ABOUT. MOST SEEM ABOUT AT ITS BEST BETWEEN 1 AND 2 YEARS OLD IN THE BOTTLE. A LOT OF THE SWEETER DESSERT TYPES DEVELOP A NICE SHERRY TASTE WITH ENOUGH AGE.
A SPOON OF SUGAR ADDED TO THE BOTTLE AT BOTTLING TIME MAKES FOR AN INTERESTING SPARKLING. CAUTION IS RECOMMENDED WHEN OPENING ONE OF THOSE. BUT OPENING A SPARKLING AND A STRAIGHT WINE FROM THE SAME BATCH IS QUITE SOMETHING. THERE WILL BE A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN TASTE BETWEEN THE TWO. A WORTHWHILE TRY. USE A NEW 500 ml. SCREWTOP BOTTLE BOUGHT AT A WINE MAKING STORE. THESE LOOK LIKE POP BOTTLES WITH THE 6 BUMPS ON THE BOTTOM. THEY CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES INVOLVED IN CONTAINING SPARKLING WINE. AS WELL AS BEING THE IDEAL SIZE FOR THE SWEETER DESSERT WINES. THE WAY I ENJOY THESE WINES , A 500ml BOTTLE TAKES LONG ENOUGH TO DRINK.
A TRICK IN USING THOSE BOTTLES OF LEFTOVER IS TO SQUEEZE ALL THE AIR OUT BUT LEAVE A 1/2" ON TOP AND SCREW DOWN TIGHT. BOTTLE WILL MAINTAIN THIS SQUASHED SHAPE TILL RE-OPENED BUT THE WINE STAYS BETTER TASTING. AND JUST THE SAME AS WITH CORKS , STORE ALL THE BOTTLES OF WINE WITH ANY TYPE OF CAP ON ITS SIDE. A LIQUID HAS BIGGER MOLECULES THAN A GAS LIKE Co2 OR OXYGEN SO A LIQUID WON'T LEAK AS EASY AS A GAS SO IT SEALS THE CAPS ON THE WINE FAR BETTER.
ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER IS GIVING YOUR BREW A NAME. I USE A PAINT OR A WORD TYPE PROGRAM ON THE COMPUTER TO DESIGN AND PRINT OUT LABELS. I RECOMMEND DOING THIS AS SOON AS THE BREW IS STARTED. THIS WAY YOU HAVE NO CONFUSION LATER ON AS TO WHAT OR WHEN IS IN THAT BOTTLE. DURING THE BREWING CYCLE I USE TAPE TO HOLD THE LABEL ON THE GALLON JAR. ONCE BOTTLED YOU CAN PRINT OUT AS MANY LABELS AS NEEDED FROM THE SAME FILE WHICH CAN BE GLUED ON. ANOTHER THING TO ADD TO YOUR LABEL IS THE STATEMENT 'RETURN EMPTY FOR REFILL' THIS WAY YOU WILL SAVE ON BUYING BOTTLES AND BY THE TIME THEY WANT TO RETURN IT THERE WILL LIKELY BE A BATCH OR TWO OF NEW FOR THEM TO TRY. IT HELPS PROMOTE HOMEMADE WINES. EVENTUALLY SOMEONE WILL WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE WINE. I SAY PASS ON THE KNOWLEDGE WITH THE STIPULATION THAT YOU GET A BOTTLE FROM THE FIRST GOOD BATCH. YOU NEVER KNOW. SOMEONE YOU PASS ON THE KNOWLEDGE TO COULD COME UP WITH A RECIPE THAT WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF. IF SO IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO GET THAT RECIPE. MUCH MORE LIKELY FROM SOMEONE YOU TAUGHT. AS FOR WHAT YOU CALL IT , THAT IS TOTALLY UP TO YOU. I CONSIDER WHAT INGREDIENTS AND WHAT I WANT THE FINISHED WINE TO BE LIKE. A BIT OF WHIMSICAL MAKES FOR MORE INTERESTING NAMES AS CAN BE NOTED FROM MY OWN LIST OF BREWS.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:54 am

THOUGHTS ON RECIPES

AS YOU MAY NOTICE ALL MY RECIPES ARE VERY SIMULAR TO EACH OTHER. THIS IS A WAY TO MAKE VERY DRINKABLE WINES WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND A FEW SEASONS WORKING IN A VINYARD IN ORDER TO LEARN THE SECRETS THEY POSSESS. I HAVE FAR TOO MANY HOBBIES TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME FUSSING WITH ALL THE CORRECT METHODS OF WINE MAKING USED BY THE EXPERTS , WHICH IS WHY THE WHOLE PROCESS IS KEPT SIMPLE. THIS IS THE WAY THAT WINES WERE FIRST MADE OTHER THAN THE ADDITION OF YEAST. THEY USED TO USE THE NATURAL YEASTS PRESENT ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE FRUIT TO START THE FERMENTATION PROCESS. THE AMOUNTS OF SUGAR FOR INSTANCE ARE PURELY UP TO PERSONAL TASTES. AND OF COURSE THE SWEETER IT IS , THE HIGHER THE ALCOHOL CONTENT. MY BREWS USUSALLY END UP AROUND 15 -17% AND VERY SWEET. JUST BECAUSE I LIKE TO GET A SUGAR FIX FROM MY GLASS DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO USE SAY THE 5 LB. OUT OF THE 3-5 LB. 3LB. WILL OF COURSE MAKE A DRIER WINE. MOST PEOPLE SEEM TO PREFER A DRIER STYLE THAN I DO. I LIKE THE FLAVOR OF THE FRUIT COMING THROUGH FROM A SWEETER WINE. THE AMOUNTS SHOWN IN EACH RECIPE IS SIMPLY A STARTING POINT. EXPERIMENT TO FIND YOUR IDEAL SUGAR LEVEL. THE AMOUNT OF YEAST TO USE IS ONLY A GUIDELINE. A FEW GRAINS OF YEAST CAN START A BATCH BREWING BUT USING A BIT MORE WILL GUARANTEE IT WILL START TO BUBBLE EVERYTIME.
TO KEEP IT SIMPLE ALL YOU REALLY NEED TO MAKE WINE IS WATER , SUGAR (NATURAL OR ADDED), YEAST AND A FLAVOUR WHETHER IT BE FROM WHOLE FRUIT OR FROM A BOTTLE. I USE A SIMPLE BREAD YEAST INSTEAD OF A WINE TYPE SIMPLY BECAUSE THAT WAS USUALLY ALL I HAD HANDY AND HAVE GROWN USED TO IT. IT DOES THE JOB OF GETTING IT BREWING. HOWEVER , USE CAREFULLY. IF OVER DONE WITH TOO MUCH BREAD YEAST IT TAKE A LONG TIME TO SETTLE OUT AND COULD LEAVE THE WINE WITH A PERMANENT YEASTY FLAVOR. AS FOR FRESHNESS OF THE YEAST , I FIGURE THAT IF IT BUBBLES UP IN THE STARTER MIX IT WILL DO THE JOB. EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF YEAST AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. IF YOU WANT KEEP YOUR WINE MAKING SIMPLE TRY STARTING OUT WITH A BREAD YEAST AND GET A COUPLE BATCHES UNDER YOUR BELT SO TO SPEAK. FOR SUGAR I USUALLY USE WHITE SUGAR AND ITS THE MORE COMMON FOUND IN THE PANTRY. BROWN WORKS WELL BUT EXPECT A DIFFERENT FLAVOR FROM IT. SAME WITH HONEY. ADDS ITS OWN UNIQUE FLAVOR. SINCE MOST OF MY WINES ARE SWEET AND ARE MADE FROM A WIDE VARIETY OF COLOURFUL FRUIT I LIKE TO USE VERY WARM WATER TO ADD ADD THE START. THIS HELPS BRING OUT THE COLOURS BUT NOT HOT ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY COOK IT. BE SURE TO LET COOL DOWN TO LUKE WARM BEFORE ADDING YEAST MIXTURE. TOO MUCH HEAT WILL KILL THE YEAST. BEST TEMPERATURE IS 80-110 F. ONE THING I HAVE FOUND TO HELP KEEP AWAY ANY BAD CONTAMINANTS WHILE ADDING SUGAR IS TO DISSOLVE THE SUGAR IN WATER THEN HEAT UNTIL CLEAR (A SIMPLE SYRUP), LET COOL THEN ADD TO WINE. IF ADDING SUGAR AFTER FERMENTATION HAS BEGUN THIS WILL HELP KEEP IT FROM FOAMING UP AS WELL.
AS FOR FRUIT OR FLAVORS I SAY ANYTHING GOES. ITS WORTH A TRY. AND MAKING IT IN 1 GALLON BATCHES MAKES IT HURT LESS SHOULD IT NOT BE WHAT YOU WANTED AND TOSSING IT OUT IS THE ONLY RECOURSE LEFT. HEAVEN FORBID THAT HAPPENING. IF IT IS AN EDIBLE FRUIT OR PLANT I WOULD TRY IT ONCE JUST TO SEE. HAVE COME ACROSS SOME MIGHTY FINE WINES MADE FROM THINGS NEVER THOUGHT OF.
AND IF YOU END UP WITH A WINE THATS DRINKABLE BUT NOT VERY FLAVORFUL YOU CAN ALWAYS DISTILL IT INTO SOME 'WHITE LIGHTNING'. ONE OF THOSE OLD PRESSURE COOKER POTS THAT HAD THE WOBBLY THING ON TOP AND SOME 1/8" COPPER TUBING COILED THROUGH YOUR FRIDGE AND DRAINING OUT INTO A BOTTLE. SLOW EASY COOKING IS THE KEY HERE. THE CLOSER YOU GET TO THE TEMPERATURE THAT ALCOHOL EVAPORATES AT (100 TO 120 DEGREES F.) AND THE FARTHER YOU CAN STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER EVAPORATION POINT OF WATER 212 F THE HIGHER THE ALCOHOL CONTENT WILL BE. COOL IT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BEFORE IT GETS TO THE BOTTLE. THIS WILL MAKE SMALL QUANTITIES OF VERY POTENT SCREECH. BLUE FLAME MATERIAL FOR SURE. AN ALCOHOL CONTENT OF 80 -90 % IS POSSIBLE IF COOKED SLOWLY ENOUGH. IT WILL CURL YOUR HAIR. IF YOU DON'T LIKE HANGOVERS , DO NOT GET DRUNK ON THIS STUFF. ALCOHOL POISONING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER WITH IT. IN ORDER TO MAKE THIS MORE PALLETABLE THIS COULD BE ADDED TO A SWEET DESSERT WINE TO MAKE IT MORE LIKE A FORTIFIED SHERRY. ALCOHOL CONTENT TO AIM FOR SHOULD BE AROUND 25 TO 35 %.
ONE WINE I THOUGHT OF BUT HAVEN'T TRIED YET IS A NEUTRAL FLAVORED WITH NO ADDED FLAVOURS AT ALL. JUST WATER , SUGAR AND YEAST. GOING TO TRY A HALF GALLON JUST FOR FUN. I WILL ADD UPDATES ON THIS ONE AS IT DEVELOPS. OR FOR THE SMOKERS TRYING TO QUIT HOW ABOUT TOBACCO WINE. BETTER THAN THE PATCH OR CHEWING GUM I BET.
HA HA OR WEED WINE FOR THE NON-SMOKER STONER. ADDING FLAVORS AFTER IT IS MADE CAN BE DONE AS WELL. I DID THIS WITH SOME PEACH WINE. IT ENDED UP TASTING LIKE A MEDIOCRE WHITE WINE SO I ADDED PEACH FLAVOR EXTRACT. NOT THE STUFF USED FOR BAKING BUT BOUGHT IN A WINE MAKING STORE. A 1 ONCE BOTTLE REALLY LIVENED UP 5 GALLONS AND IT KEPT THE FRESH PEACH FLAVOUR FOR ITS WHOLE SHELF LIFE.
ANOTHER WINE ON MY LIST TO TRY IS DARK ROAST COFFEE. THINK IT COULD BE QUITE NICE. OR PERHAPS CHOCOLATE. IT IS ORIGINALLY FERMENTED WHILE STILL IN BEAN FORM TO BRING OUT FLAVOR. ANOTHER THOUGHT ALONG THIS LINE HAS BEEN TO TRY CHINESE GREEN TEA. MAY NOT BE MUCH FLAVOR BUT THE ADDITIONAL HEALTH BENEFITS OBTAINED FROM DRINKING GREEN TEA MAY BE PRESENT IN A HOMEBREW MADE FROM IT. FLAVORED TEAS LIKE CELESTIAL TIDINGS COULD PROVE QUITE TASTY AS WELL. OR HOW ABOUT A TEA MADE FROM THE MORE COMMON SPICES LIKE CINNAMON , NUTMEG AND GINGER. OR JUST GINGER. EITHER FRESH FROM THE ROOT OR FROM A TEA MADE FROM POWDERED GINGER. OR HOW ABOUT A MEXICAN FLAIR. SPICY AS IN HOT. NOT SURE IF THE HOT PART OF THE SPICE (CAPSAICIN) WOULD AFFECT FERMENTATION BUT IT WOULD BE INTERESTING FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THEIR CHILI REAL HOT. WHY NOT HAVE HOT AND SPICY WINE?? MIGHT GO GREAT WITH NACHOS.
ROSE PETAL WINE FROM YOUR GARDEN VARIETY ROSE MAKES FOR A VERY FRAGRANT WINE. A BIT OVERPOWERING IN FLAVOR. VERY PERFUMEY. PROBABLY BEST IN SMALLER QUANTITIES MIXED WITH A STRONG FRUIT. RASPBERRY AND ROSE PETALS SHERRY PERHAPS.? BANANA ALSO MAKES PRETTY GOOD WINE. UNFORTUNELY THE UNIQUE BANANA FLAVOR DOESN'T SEEM TO STAY ONCE THE BREWING STARTS AND YOU END UP WITH AN UNUSUAL WHITE THAT DOESN'T RESEMBLE BANANAS AT ALL. THE USE OF EXTRACT FLAVORS MIGHT HELP THERE.
ANOTHER TRIED WAS PINEAPPLE. IT WAS MADE FROM CANNED JUICES LEFT OVER FROM CHUNKS AND SOME 'SUN-RYPE' PINEAPPLE JUICE. ALTHOUGH WAY TOO YOUNG WHEN DRANK IT WAS RATHER TASTY. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY FROM FRESH PINEAPPLE AND LET IT AGE LONG ENOUGH. OVER-COMING THE ACIDITY WOULD BE THE HARDEST PART I THINK. OH WELL ANOTHER DESSERT WINE THEN. ALOHA (HICCUP). HMMM GOOD NAME FOR ONE. THE ALOHA HICCUP.
DRIED FRUITS ARE ALSO VERY USEABLE. RAISINS , DRIED APRICOTS , APPLE , BANANA CHIPS AND EVEN COCONUT. IF USING A DRIED FRUIT BE SURE TO SOAK IN HOT WATER FOR AN HOUR OR SO TO BRING THE FRUIT UP TO A MOISTURE LEVEL SUITABLE FOR BREWING. BE SURE TO USE THE SOAKING WATER.
I TREAT MY WINES PRETTY CASUALLY. I BREW AT AVERAGE ROOM TEMPERATURES , USE BREAD YEAST AND USUALLY SIPHON OFF TOO EARLY. ABOUT THE ONLY WINE I HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH IS CHERRY. I SCREWED UP TWO BATCHES OF NANKING CHERRY AND THEY WENT TO VINEGAR. NICE ON SALADS BUT NOT IN THE GLASS. HAVE DONE A 5 GALLON BATCH OF 'NANKING CHERRY SHERRY' AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. THE CHERRY FLAVOR STAYED REALLY NICE FOR 5 YEARS THAT I KNOW OF. NEXT SEASON I'LL BE TRYING AGAIN, NO DOUBT.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO SUCCESSFUL WINE MAKING IS CLEANLINESS AND KEEPING THE BUGS OUT. ANYTHING THAT TOUCHES THE WINE SHOULD BE FIRST RINSED WELL IN HOT TAP WATER. ASSUMING THEY ARE ALREADY CLEAN THAT IS.
FOR BOTTLING I FIND THE 500 ml. PLASTIC POP SCREW TOP BOTTLE BOUGHT NEW FROM A WINE MAKING STORE TO BE THE BEST BET BY FAR. THESE ARE PRETTY CHEAP BY THE DOZEN OR EVEN BY THE CASE. AND IF YOU RINSE OUT THOSE BOTTLES ONCE EMPTIED THEY CAN BE RE-USED TO HOLD THE NEXT BATCH. I'VE RE-USED THOSE TYPE A HALF DOZEN TIMES INCLUDING THE LIDS AND HAD NO ILL EFFECTS. THEY STILL SEAL AND THATS ALL THAT COUNTS. THEY ALSO HANDLE A SPARKLING WINE QUITE WELL. ANOTHER SOURCE OF BOTTLES IS A FLAT OF BOTTLED WATER WHICH CAN BE CHEAPER THAN EMPTY ONES FROM A WINE MAKING STORE. ALSO JUST EMPTY THE BOTTLE, DRAIN WELL AND FILL WITH WINE. I HAVE USED THESE A FEW TIMES AND THEY WORK GREAT. MOST HAVE A THIN PLASTIC LABEL WHICH COMES OFF EASILY AND YOUR OWN LABEL CAN COVER THEIR GLUE MARKS.
A WORD ON SPARKLING WINES. THE EASIEST WAY IS TO ADD A HALF TEASPOON OF SUGAR TO A 500 ml. BOTTLE BEFORE SYPHONING IN THE WINE. THEN CAP. IN A FEW MONTHS IT WILL CLEAR UP REAL NICE AND THE BOTTLE WILL GET QUITE HARD FROM THE PRESSURE. PLEASE DO NOT DROP BOTTLE ON FLOOR AT THIS STAGE. A CHAMPAGNE SHOWER WILL RESULT. A VERY SUDDEN SHOWER. TRY DOING SOME OF THESE WINES IN 1 GALLON BATCHES. THEY DON'T TAKE UP MUCH ROOM AND IF YOU REALLY LIKE A CERTAIN ONE AND WANT TO DO A BIGGER BATCH LIKE 5 GALLON THEN YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW , ITS ALL THE SAME IN LARGER AMOUNTS. AND IF IT SHOULD TURN OUT BAD THEN WITH A GALLON IT DOESN'T HURT AS MUCH TO THROW IT OUT. CONSIDER THE PRICE OF WINE GRAPES BY THE 20 LB. CASE , ENOUGH FOR 5 G.
A CERTAIN WINE I MADE IS 'GRAPE CIDER'. ALTHOUGH NOT FINISHED BREWING AS OF THIS WRITING IT IS SHAPING INTO A REAL NICE LOOKING CIDER. BRIGHT RED CIDER. TO MAKE A GALLON IT COST ME 8 BUCKS FOR APPLES AND BLACK SEEDLESS GRAPES. THIS WAS WELL PAST THE 'IN SEASON' SO DURING SEASON THE COST COULD BE HALF. IT WAS ABOUT ALL THAT WAS GOOD OF A VERY POOR SELECTION CONSIDERING IT WAS A MAJOR FOOD STORE. BUT FOR 10 BUCKS I END UP WITH 8 - 500 ml. BOTTLES OF FRUITFUL JOY.
THESE 'DESSERT WINES' OF MINE ARE BEST SERVED IN 2 OUNCE SHERRY GLASSES AFTER A FILLING DINNER AND GO WELL WITH COFFEE. TASTE IS DEFINITELY IMPROVED IF SERVED TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:55 am

BLACK BUBBLES (SPARKLING COFFEE)

1 GALLON VERY STRONG COFFEE
3-5 LB. SUGAR

1/4 TEASPOON DRY BREAD YEAST

FOR THE COFFEE I USED 'NABOB TRADITION' FINE GRIND. MY USUAL DRINKING COFFEE.
FIRST TIME MADE WAS 1 LITER AND I USED 6 HEAPING TEASPOONS COFFEE TO 1 LITER AND ADDED ABOUT 1 CUP SUGAR WITH ENOUGH YEAST TO GET IT STARTED.

FIRST TRY NOTES: STARTED ON OCT 29 2002
FIRST TASTE ON NOV. 2. IMPRESSIVE SO FAR. GETTING THE WINE FLAVOR WITH THE COFFEE COMING THROUGH LOUD AND CLEAR. STILL VERY FOAMY. UGLY LOOKING BLACK SEDIMENT ON TOP OF FOAM. VERY LITTLE BOTTOM SEDIMENT SO FAR. YEAST SEEMS TO BE STICKING IN THE FOAM BUT NOT AFFECTING FERMENTING. KIND OF LOOKS LIKE GUINNESS STOUT WITH A HEAD OF FOAM.
NOV. 8 NOT MUCH CHANGE. SMELLS MORE LIKE WINE. STILL FOAMS.
NOV.12 RACKED OFF. LOOKIN GOOD. TASTE TESTED , FOUND IT A BIT BITTER BUT NOT FROM LACK OF SUGAR BUT FROM THE COFFEE ITSELF. MAYBE COFFEE WAS TOO STRONG. IT HAS THAT KIND OF BITE. ALL IN ALL , THE FLAVOUR DOES HAVE POTENTIAL. IT ISN'T BAD TASTING BY ANY MEANS. FOAMING HAS FINALLY SETTLED DOWN.
NOV 17 RACKED OFF AGAIN. STILL SOME BREWING GOIN ON. TASTED VERY NICE , LIKE KAHLUA. SHOULD BE QUITE NICE WHEN DONE. NO MORE SUGAR NEEDED AT THIS STAGE. ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF FOAMING.
NOV 26 TASTE TEST REVEALS COFFEE FLAVOR COMING THROUGH VERY NICELY. SETTLING OUT VERY QUICKLY. GETTING NICE AND CLEAR. OF COURSE BEING MADE FROM STRAINED COFFEE THERE WASN'T MUCH IN SEDIMENT OTHER THAN THE YEAST. WON'T BE LONG TO BOTTLING TIME. ONLY ONE MONTH AND JUST ABOUT DONE. DEFINETLY PLANNING ON DOING A GALLON AS SOON AS I HAVE A JAR AVAILABLE.
DEC. 4 BOTTLED. TURNED VERY CLEAR REAL FAST DUE TO LACK OF SEDIMENT IN STRAINED COFFEE. TASTE IS QUITE REMARKABLE WITH THE COFFEE COMING THROUGH REAL NICE. STICKY SWEET AND MUCH LIKE A HOMEMADE KAHLUA. AFTER A FAIR BIT OF 'TASTE TESTING I ENDED UP WITH ONE 500ml BOTTLE.
I WILL DEFINETLY BE DOING THIS BREW AGAIN. I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE. I MADE THIS ON A WHIM AND AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS.
CAUTION TO BE USED IN THE EARLY STAGES OF FERMENTATION. THIS BREW IS VERY FOAMY AND WITH A GENTLE STIR WILL TRY TO FOAM OVER. DAMN STICKY MESS WHEN IT DOES. I SUGGEST LEAVING A GOOD AMOUNT OF SPACE IN THE CONTAINER TO ALLOW FOR FOAMING UP.
THIS IS MEANT TO BE MADE IN THE FORM OF A SPARKLING WINE HENCE THE NAME. AT BOTTLING TIME SIMPLY ADD A 1/2 TEASPOON OF SUGAR TO EACH BOTTLE BEFORE FILLING. IN A FEW TO 6 MONTHS IT WILL BE A SPARKLING BLACK WINE. IT IS ALSO VERY NICE WITHOUT THE BUBBLES SO JUST ELIMINATE THE SUGAR AT BOTTLING TIME.
FOR THOSE SERIOUS COFFEE DRINKERS. GET YOUR CAFFEINE TO KEEP YOU ALERT.
THIS IS SOMETHING TO EXPERIMENT WITH. SOME OF THE FLAVORED COFFEES MIGHT BE INTERESTING AS WELL AS SOME OF THE SPECIFIC VARIETIES LIKE COLUMBIAN , YUCATAN , JAMACIAN BLUE MOUNTAIN OR EVEN ESPRESSO OR ONE OF THE OTHER DARK ROASTED COFFEES.
WARNING! MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR THAT MORNING CAFFEINE JOLT (DUE TO THE ALCOHOL). OR FOR A BEDTIME NIGHTCAP (DUE TO THE CAFFEINE).

UPDATE
: SECOND BATCH STARTED, AT 4 WEEKS COMING ALONG NICE. A BIT STRONGER AND SOME DARK ROAST ADDED. ORIGINALLY MADE ABOUT 3 TIMES STRONGER THAN ABOVE BUT HAD TO THIN DOWN. CLOSE TO A GALLON. NOT AS SWEET AND STICKY THIS BATCH BUT STILL PRETTY SWEET TASTING.
UPDATED BREW CYCLE COMING SOON.
UPDATE 2 TWO WEEKS LATER. NOT TOO SWEET BUT ADDED A BIT MORE SUGAR, WILL DO SECOND RACK NEXT TIME. NICE FLAVOURS BUT THE DARK ROAST USED WAS PRETTY MELLOW SO DIDN'T DO MUCH. ACTUAL COFFEE FLAVOURS DO NOT COME OUT THAT WELL. I EXPECT THAT WHEN THIS WINE IS FINISHED IT WILL GET (AND NEED) A GOOD SHOT OF A COFFEE LIQUEUR JUST TO BOOST THE COFFEE. THE LEFT OVER COFFEE LIQUEUR CAN BE MY XMAS CHEER THIS YEAR SINCE THE WINE WON'T BE READY.
LAST UPDATE
JUST READY TO BOTTLE. QUITE SWEET BUT NOT TOO BAD. COFFEE FLAVOUR HAS COME BACK OUT A FAIR BIT. TASTE IS VERY NICE AND CLOSE TO WHAT I WAS AIMING FOR BUT WILL USE A DARK ROAST ONLY NEXT TIME. NOTHING NEEDS TO BE ADDED LIKE A LIQUEUR TO BOOST FLAVOUR, IT STANDS BY ITSELF QUITE WELL. THIS ONE WILL NOT BE A BUBBLY SO A DIFFERENT NAME WAS NEEDED SO CALLED THIS BATCH 'CAFE CORDIAL' EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T REALLY A CORDIAL. NOT ONE OF MY BEST NAMES BUT IT WILL DO FOR A 7 BOTTLE BATCH.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:55 am

BLACK CURRANT AND DATE

2 lb. BLACK CURRANTS

3/4 lb. PITTED DATES CHOPPED

3 lb. SUGAR

YEAST

VERY HOT WATER

STARTED NOV. 20 2002 1 GALLON
DATES WERE ADDED AT THE LAST MINUTE ON A WHIM. TOTAL COST $6 FIRST TASTE TO CHECK SUGAR LEVELS AND THE DATE REALLY JUMPS OUT AT YA. USED LESS THAN HALF THE AMOUNT OF CURRANTS TOO. COULD BE VERY HONEY KIND OF TASTE. PERHAPS MORE OF A MEAD?
NOV 25 FIRST TASTE PROVED INTERESTING. DATE FLAVOR DOESN'T COME THROUGH LIKE I FIGURED IT WOULD. IT HAS A VERY CARAMEL KIND OF TASTE. PRESENT SUGAR LEVELS SEEM TO BE FAIRLY HIGH. 3 LB SUGAR MAY BE A BIT TOO MUCH. DATES HAVE A VERY HIGH SUGAR CONTENT SO LESS MAY BE NEEDED. SWEETNESS SHOULD SUIT MY TASTES. SOMETHING TO WATCH FOR. NO HINT OF THE BLACK CURRANTS. CURRANTS ALONE SHOULD CREATE A TASTE SIMULAR TO GRAPES. TIME WILL TELL ON THIS ONE.
DEC 6 STILL BREWING WITH FRUIT. BREWING HARDER AND LONGER THAN I FIGURED.
HAD A TASTE AND IT IS DEVELOPING VERY NICELY. DATE FLAVOR SEEMS TO HAVE MELLOWED OUT LOTS AND NOW HAS AN INTERESTING OAKEN PORT TYPE HINT TO IT FROM THE BLACK CURRANTS. GETTING INTERESTING. MAYBE ANOTHER WEEK IN THE FRUIT BEFORE FIRST SYPHON. MAY NEED BIT MORE SUGAR LATER. THERE IS ABOUT 2 INCH OF FINE MUDDY SEDIMENT FROM THE DATES ON THE BOTTOM. EXPECT THAT WILL TAKE SOME CAREFUL SYPHONING OVER 3 OR 4 RACKINGS TO GET RID OF THAT STUFF.EVERY TIME I STICK A SPOON IN IT TO TASTE , IT TASTES DIFFERENT. SO FAR I'VE LIKED ALL THE UNIQUE FLAVORS. LOOKS PROMISING.
DEC 15 SYPHONED OFF FIRST TIME. LOTS OF FINE SEDIMENT. MAY NEED PAPER FILTERING. FIRST REAL TASTE. DATES ARE COMIN THROUGH NICELY. VERY SWEET STILL. NEEDS TO BREW FOR AWHILE YET. DUE TO THE DATES I'M STARTIN TO THINK A REDUCTION IN SUGAR MIGHT BE CALLED FOR. IT TASTES GOOD. HAS SORT OF A PORT OR SHERRY HINT TO IT. THE BLACK CURRANTS SEEM TO HIDING IN THE BACKGROUND. MAYBE THATS WHERE THE SHERRY TASTE COMES FROM. I THINK THIS ONE WILL TAKE AWHILE TO FULLY SETTLE OUT AND DEVELOP ITS OWN UNIQUE TASTE. ENDED UP UP WITH ABOUT A HALF GALLON. ADDED WATER TO THE FRUIT AND STARTED A SECOND BREW. TOPPED IT UP TO ABOUT 3/4 FULL AND CAN ADD MORE A BIT LATER. WELL I ONLY PUT ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF SUGAR IN THE SECOND BREW TO GET IT STARTED BREWING SO IT SHOULD BE A LOT DRIER AND CAN TONE DOWN THIS FIRST BATCH. I'LL PAPER FILTER EACH BATCH SEPARATELY CAUSE IT TAKES AWHILE.
DEC 28 STRAINED OFF THE SECOND BREW AND ADDED TO THE FIRST. A BIT MUDDY LOOKIN. THERE IS LOTS OF FINE SEDIMENT. PAPER FILTER PLUGS UP TOO QUICK. MAY TRY USING A FINE BRASS SCREEN I HAVE NEXT TIME USING THE SYPHON HOSE TO FILL.
DID A SPOON TASTE AND I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE SECOND BREW TAMING DOWN THE FIRST BUT ITS STILL PRETTY SWEET. HAVE TO SEE HOW IT SETTLES OUT AND MELLOWS OUT. IF IT DOESN'T MELLOW ENOUGH I CAN ADD SOME MORE. I AM GOING TO DO A THIRD COOK ON THE FRUIT. THAT WILL PRODUCE A VERY NORMAL TASTING WHITE WINE KIND OF FLAVOR TO FURTHER SOFTEN THE SWEETNESS. I WILL USE THIS ONLY IF REALLY NEEDED. DATE FLAVOR SEEMS TO BE RIGHT OUT FRONT. ENDED UP WITH 7/8 OF A GALLON.
JAN 11 STRAINED OFF THE THIRD BREW INTO THE ORIGINAL MIX. IT WAS A FAIR BIT DRIER THAN I THOUGHT SO IT IS VERY NOTICEABLE. HAD TO ADD A 1/2 CUP SUGAR TO THE NOW FULL GALLON TO BRING UP THE SWEETNESS LEVEL A BIT. WHICH MEANS NOW IT WILL BREW A BIT MORE. NOT AS FLAVORFULL AS IT WAS. ITS A BIT LIKE A BLAND WHITE WINE IN TASTE BUT LOOKS MORE LIKE COFFEE IN COLOR. MAYBE SOME NEW FLAVORS WILL DEVELOP AS ITS MATURES A BIT MORE. NOT ONE OF MY BETTER BREWS. NO MORE DATES. THEY SEEM TO OVERPOWER THE TASTE EARLY ON IN FERMENTATION THEN DIE OUT AS THE SEDIMENT SETTLES OUT. PERHAPS MOST OF THE FLAVOR IN DATES IS IN THE SOLIDS MORE THAN IN THE NATURAL SUGARS. KEEP THE DATES TO MAKE OATMEAL DATE SQUARES. MUCH BETTER THAT WAY. STILL SOME FINE SEDIMENT IN THE BOTTOM , ABOUT 1". BETTER THAN I EXPECTED ACTUALLY. SHOULDN'T BE MUCH TROUBLE TO GET RID OF MOST OF IT WITH A SYPHON OFF IN A DAY OR 2.
JAN 29 SYPHONED OFF 1 WEEK AGO. LOOKING VERY NICE AND GETTING CLEARER. DID TASTE TEST TODAY. THE SMELL OR 'NOSE' IS SOMEWHAT LIKE BEER. MALTY HOPS SLIGHTLY. TASTE HAS DEFINETE DATE FLAVOUR LATER ON IN THE MOUTH. HAS A PORT OR SHERRY FLAVOR. NOT MUCH KICK THOUGH. ALCOHOL CONTENT SEEMS TO QUITE LOW. PROBABLY WELL UNDER 10%. DRINKABLE FOR SURE BUT NOT ONE OF MY BETTER RECIPES.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 am

CONCORD SHERRY

6-8 LB. SMALL WILD CONCORD GRAPES

5-6 LB. WHITE SUGAR

THE FIRST TIME I MADE THIS IT TURNED OUT VERY NICE. VERY SWEET BUT THE FRUIT FLAVOURS WERE INCREDIBLE. I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT BY THE BOOK SO TO SPEAK , RACKING OFF PROPER AND ALL THAT. THE NEXT YEAR I MADE IT AND GOT IT BREWING THEN SIMPLY FORGOT ABOUT IT. FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS I THINK. THEN I FINALLY STRAINED THEN RACKED OFF THE SKINS AND SEEDS. SHOULD HAVE BEEN SPOILED BUT IT ACTUALLY TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF MY BEST YET. JUST ABOUT A SMOKY OAK BARREL KIND OF FLAVOUR WITH THE CONCORD GRAPE COMING THROUGH REAL PRONOUNCED. IT TOO WAS QUITE SWEET. NOT AS
MUCH AS THE FIRST BATCH BUT DEFINETLY THAT LIQUEUR EDGE TO IT. LOVE TO TRY IT DISTILLED SOME DAY. IT REMINDED ME OF A NICE PORTUGUESE SHERRY I HAD ONCE. NAME UNKNOWN , SORRY.
CONCORD IS A COMMON BACK YARD GRAPE THAT USUALLY DOESN'T GET USED FOR MUCH OTHER THAN JAMS AND FINGER FOOD. IT IS STILL AROUND IN GOOD AMOUNTS. I HAVE NOT TRIED A BATCH WITH REGULAR SIZED CONCORD GRAPES BUT EXPECT IT TO BE A FAIR BIT SWEETER. THE LITTLE WILD GRAPES I USED WERE NO BIGGER THAN A 1/4 " IN DIAMETER. QUITE TART. PROBABLY WOULD KEEP THE CONCORD FLAVOUR A BIT BETTER WITH THE STORE BOUGHT TYPE. VERY DARK RED WHEN FINISHED. VERY RICH LOOKING.

This can also be made using Welch's Grape Juice, the dark purple stuff and produces a very nice taste. A bit of sugar and yeast gets it going. The "white" Welch's grape juice also makes a very tasty white that reminded me of a German white. I haven't made the white myself since I prefer the concord grape flavour over white.

I have a batch of Welch's brewing right now and is coming along very nice. Of course it will be fairly sweet. Something I didn't notice before is that the colour is getting lighter as a darker sediment is settling on the bottom, seems like the yeast is absorbing the colour and sinking. I hope it doesn't get too light of a colour. After two weeks brewing it has a taste similar to a bubbly Rose' then the concord flavours come on fairly strong, even the natural acids. I hope it keeps that character after the bubbly taste is done. This one will be called "Sweet Concorde" over a faded picture of the Concorde jet taking off.
This batch of Welch's is ready to bottle already, only a few weeks. A fair bit of colour came out with the racking but is still quite dark. The flavour comes on very nice although it seems a bit watered down (not as strong as I expected) with the Concord flavours blossoming through nicely. I expected a strong puckering concord flavour like my first batch with wild grapes and like the juice but fermenting takes the edge off of Welch's. All in all a very decent wine, not as sweet as my others but still a dessert wine sweetness. This is one that will be made a few times so a bit can be put away to see what aging will do and will quickly become a favorite. It is cheap ($8 for a gallon), extremely easy (easiest wine I've made) and settles out and finishes quite quickly and has a great taste. This batch actually tastes quite commercial and would be a marketable product. Surprising Welch's hasn't made wine of their own.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 am

CRAB APPLE CIDER

2-3 LB. DEEP RED CRAB APPLES

2-4 LB. WHITE SUGAR OR HONEY SUGAR MIX

WARM WATER

APPLES ARE BEST THIN SLICED IN FOOD PROCESSER. PAPER THIN WOULD BE BEST. BE SURE TO CATCH ANY JUICE AND ADD. REMOVING STEMS FROM APPLES IS BEST. DEEP RED COLOUR WILL LEACH INTO CIDER. SOME STRAINS OF CRAB APPLES HAVE RED FRUIT MEAT IN THE CENTER. THIS ADDS GREATLY TO THE COLOUR. BREW AS ANY WINE. STRONG APPLE FLAVOUR COMES THROUGH AFTER BOTTLE AGING FOR A YEAR OR SO. THE SWEETER IT IS THE MORE THE FRUIT WILL COME THROUGH. ALSO QUITE NICE FAIRLY DRY. I LIKE IT DRY WITH A BIT OF GINGER ALE ADDED. NICE HOT DAY KIND OF SPRITZER.
ALSO VERY NICE SPARKLING. ADDING A SPOON OF SUGAR AT BOTTLING WILL PRODUCE A NEAR CHAMPAGNE KIND OF BUBBLY. VERY NICE FOR NEW YEARS EVE TOAST.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:57 am

GRAPE CIDER 2002 STARTED OCT 14

1 3 LB. BAG OF MacINTOSH APPLES CHOPPED THIN (MINUS A COUPLE FOR THE
HOUNDDOG)

1 LB. BLACK SEEDLESS GRAPES CHOPPED ACTUAL VARIETY UNKNOWN

4-5 LB. WHITE SUGAR

FOLLOW MAIN RECIPE FOR METHOD 'A FEW HINTS'
AT THIS EARLY STAGE IN THE BREW GRAPE CIDER SURE SMELLS GOOD. A BIT ROUGH
AT THIS TIME BUT THAT WILL MELLOW OUT WHEN THE AGING IN BOTTLE. ( I HOPE )
VERY NICE COLOUR SO FAR FROM THE APPLE SKINS AND BLACK GRAPES. I THINK THE
APPLES LENT MORE IN RED. KIND OF PURPLE BUT DEFINETY RED.
AS FAR AS FRUIT SMELLS THE MOST DOMINANT FLAVOUR SEEMS TO BE FROM THE
GRAPES EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE A SMALLER PERCENTAGE THAN THE APPLES. APPLE WAS
DEFINETLY STRONGER FOR THE FIRST WEEK. FROM DOING CRAB APPLE CIDER A FEW
TIMES I'M SURE THAT THE APPLE WILL COME THROUGH AS IT AGES.
WELL AFTER FIRST TASTE AT ABOUT 3 WEEKS OLD , I'D SAY PRETTY DARN GOOD.
NOT AS SWEET AS EXPECTED BUT IT STILL HAS A BIT MORE BREWING TO GO. MAY NEED
TO ADJUST SUGAR MORE LATER. VERY FRUITY WITH A DEFINETE NOTE OF APPLE CIDER.
QUITE HIGH ALCOHOL CONTENT. IT BURNS A BIT GOING DOWN.
4 WEEKS DOING NICELY AFTER ANOTHER RACKING. LOOSING THE GREEN WINE SMELL.
STILL A FAIR BIT OF HAZE TO IT YET. SEEMS TO BE SETTLING QUICKER IN THE FIRST
WEEK AFTER RACKING.
5 WEEKS SETTLING OUT QUITE WELL , DEFINETLY GETTIN CLEARER. TASTE TESTED
WITH SATISFYING RESULTS. VERY HIGH ALCOHOL CONTENT. BURNS GOIN DOWN LIKE A
GOOD WHISKEY. TASTE IS SORT OF GRAPE WINE LIKE BUT NO REAL APPLE FLAVOUR
COMIN THROUGH AT THIS STAGE.
6 WEEKS 6 DAYS SINCE LAST RACK OFF. DEFINITE 1" LAYER ON TOP OF VERY
CLEAR. WON'T TOUCH IT FOR A FEW DAYS AND WATCH THE SETTLING PROGRESS. SHOULD
CONTINUE CLEARING UP PRETTY QUICKLY FROM HERE ON.
BOTTLED ON DEC.4 LOOKS REALLY NICE. GOOD COLOR. SORT OF STRAWBERY COLOR. ALL IN ALL IT TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD. AFTER LOTS OF 'TASTE TESTING' I ENDED UP WITH 4 - 500ml BOTTLES AND A BIT MORE. PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ABOUT 3 MORE BUT I REALLY ENJOYED TESTING IT.
10:20 PM 1/5/03 ENJOYING A GLASS. TURNED OUT VERY NICE. PERHAPS A BIT SYRUPY FROM THE SUGAR CONTENT. COULD BE A BIT LOWER. GOOD FRUITY FLAVORS AND A HELL OF A KICK. WILL DEFINETLY DO THIS ONE AGAIN. IT WAS SO CHEAP TO MAKE I SAY YES TO A SECOND BATCH OF THIS.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Fri May 15, 2009 10:57 am

MINT WINE

ENOUGH FRESH MINT LEAVES TO STUFF A GALLON JAR HALF FULL.

3-5 LB. WHITE SUGAR

VERY WARM WATER ( NOT BOILING )

SURPRISELY THIS DOES NOT END UP TASTING MUCH LIKE WHAT WOULD BE EXPECTED. IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A HINT OF MINT. THIS I MADE QUITE SWEET AND IT ENDED UP MORE LIKE A WHITE GERMAN WITH A HINT OF SOMETHING ELSE BUT NOT DISCERNABLE. AND JUST ABOUT 'RUDELY' SWEET. A TINY BIT DRIER WOULD HAVE BEEN NICER. I THOUGHT OF ADDING SOME FRESH LEAVES INTO THE BOTTLE AT BOTTLING TIME IN ORDER TO BRING OUT THE MINT FLAVOUR BUT HAVE NOT TRIED THIS. OR EVEN THE ADDITION OF WHITE CREME DE MENTHE. A SPOON OF SUGAR ADDED TO THE BOTTLE AT BOTTLING TIME MAKES FOR AN
INTERESTING SPARKLING. CAUTION IS RECOMMENDED WHEN OPENING ONE OF THOSE.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Next

Return to BODY AND BRAIN FOOD