Welcome
Welcome to UNCLE ZAP'S AUDIO ZAP & INFO DEPOT

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

BODY FOOD RECIPES

THOUGHTS
FOOD AND DRINK

BODY FOOD RECIPES

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 am

FOOD!!!
GOOD FOOD, GOOD DRINK BEST SERVED
WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
THIS IS WHAT MAKES LIFE GOOD.
AMD 4.7 Ghz Octi-core, 32 g ram

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Highscores: 23

Re: BODY FOOD RECIPES & FOOD ART

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 pm

HAWAIIAN PIZZA SALAD

8 OZ COLD CUBED HAM 1/2" CUBE

6 OZ DRAINED PINEAPPLE CHUNKS

1 TEASPOON FINELY MINCED SHALLOT

1 GARLIC CLOVE MINCED

1/4 CUP FINE DICED RED AND GREEN PEPPER

2 TABLESPOON CHOPPED MACODAMIA OR PEANUTS

1/4 CUP PLAIN YOGART

1 OZ COCONUT MILK

1 CUP LOOSELY CHOPPED BUTTER LEAF LETTUCE

TOSS TOGETHER AND LET CHILL FOR 1/2 HOUR. SERVE IN LARGE STEMMED GLASSES LINED WITH LETTUCE LEAVES, WITH 4 PITA BREAD WEDGES TUCKED IN AROUND THE EDGE. DRIZZLE ON A LIGHT CIRCLE OF WARM LIGHTLY SWEETENED PIZZA SAUCE.

SERVES 2

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 pm

ARGENTINA STEAK SAUCE

1 TABLESPOON CAYENNE PEPPER

3 TABLESPOON SALT

1 CUP WATER

THIS MAKES A VERY WATERY SAUCE THAT IS APPLIED TO THE STEAKS ON THE BBQ USING A PLASTIC SQUEEZE BOTTLE. ITS GOOD FOR PUTTING OUT THOSE FLAMES THAT LICK AT THE STEAKS AND CAUSE A BITTER TASTE. THE WATER EVAPORATES OFF AND THE CAYENNE AND SALT SOAK INTO THE MEAT. EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A LOT OF SALT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE THERE IS MUCH WHEN COOKED. REALLY BRINGS OUT THE MEAT FLAVOR. AND IT ISN'T AS SPICY HOT AS YOU WOULD THINK. I HAVE ONLY TRIED THIS ON BEEF STEAKS BUT I BET IT WOULD GO WELL ON MOST BBQABLE MEATS. MOST BENIFITS FROM FATTY MEATS THAT WILL FLARE UP AND CAUSE FLAME SEARING WHICH IS BITTER TO THE TASTE. USE TO KILL THE FLAMES AND KEEP MEAT MOIST. THIS RECIPE MAKES ENOUGH FOR ONLY 4 STEAKS SO YOU CAN SEE IT USES QUITE A BIT FOR EACH STEAK. DON'T MARINATE MEAT IN IT. I FIND THE HEAT OF THE CAYENNE ACTUALLY BREAKS DOWN THE FIBRES SO MUCH THAT IT ENDS UP LIKE A MUSHY FILM ON IT.
TRY THIS THE WAY IT IS FIRST THEN EXPERIMENT WITH ADDING FURTHER SEASONINGS. AVOID GARLIC CAUSE OF ITS EASE OF BURNING. OREGANO IS A NICE ADDITION.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 pm

A COUPLE OF CAKES FROM MY CHEF DAYS

THIS ONE WAS FOR A 99 YEAR OLD TEXAN MUSICIAN AND HIS FAVORITE SONG WAS
THE "YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS" AND THAT IS THE FIRST BAR OF THE SONG

THIS ONE WAS FOR A SCARY LOOKING WOMAN. A PRACTICING WITCH (BLACK MAGIC AND ALL THAT CRAP) THE ONE IN THE BACKGROUND WAS A PECAN AND AMERETTO CREAM.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:41 pm

OATMEAL COOKIES

1 1/2 CUPS ROLLED OATS

1 3/4 CUPS FLOUR

1 TSP BAKING POWDER

1 TSP BAKING SODA

1 CUP BUTTER

1 CUP SUGAR

1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR

1 EGG BEATEN

1 TSP VANILLA

1/2 CUP FLAKED COCONUT

MIX DRY INGREDIENTS. MIX BUTTER AND SUGAR

ADD EGG BEAT TILL FLUFFY. ADD TO DRY

INGREDIENTS JUST TILL BLENDED

BAKE FOR 10 TO 12 MINUTES IN 375 DEGREE

OVEN

FOR A CHANGE I LIKE TO ADD A PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE RECIPE TO THE MIX.
A STANDARD RECIPE. JUST ADD THE WET INGREDIENTS FROM BOTH RECIPES AT THE SAME TIME AND THEN THE DRY INGREDIENTS.

MY FAVORITE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE RECIPE
1 CUP BUTTER
3/4 CUP BROWN SUGAR (PACKED)
3/4 CUP SUGAR
1 CUP PEANUT BUTTER (CRUNCHY PREFERRED)
2 EGGS
1 TSP VANILLA
2 1/2 CUP FLOUR
1 TSP BAKING SODA
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
1/4 TSP SALT

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

PIE CRUST MY FAVOURITE

MAKES 8 CRUSTS

SWEET CRUST

1 lb. BUTTER UNSALTED COLD

6 1/2 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR

1 TEASPOON SALT

1 EGG BEATEN

1/4 CUP WATER (MORE LATER IF NEEDED)

SIFT ALL DRY. CUT BUTTER INTO DRY WITH PASTRY KNIFE TILL 1/4" BALLS. DON'T USE HANDS.
MIX EGG AND WATER AND ADD 75% OF TOTAL LIQUID. CUT IN THEN ADD REST IF NEEDED IN SMALL AMOUNTS AT A TIME. SHOULD BE ABLE TO PACK INTO A BALL FAIRLY EASILY. IF TOO CRUMBLY ADD MORE WATER.
QUICKLY KNEED THE DOUGH INTO A MIXED BALL , FLATTEN OUT WITH A COLD PLATE TO 1 0R 2 " THICK PANCAKE THEN WRAP IN SARAN WRAP. COOL IN FRIDGE FOR 1 HOUR. DIVIDE DOUGH UP INTO 8 PEICES.
USE COLD ROLLING PIN TO SHAPE INTO BALL THEN ROLL OUT AND USE. DUE TO EGG IT NEEDS TO BE PERFORATED WITH FORK IF BAKED WITHOUT FILLING.

SAVORY CRUST
SUBSTITUTE LARD FOR BUTTER AND ADD 1 TEASPOON VINEGAR TO LIQUID MIXTURE. ITALIAN STYLE HERBS ADDED TO THE DRY MIX ARE MY FAVORITE. PICANTE SPICES WORK WELL TOO (MEXICAN QUICHE?). FRESH MINT
KNEEDED INTO THE DOUGH GOES WELL WITH A LAMB AND ROOT VEG PIE. AND OF COURSE BLACK PEPPER.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

RASPBERRY CHILI CHICKEN

SAUCE

RASPBERRY PUREE FROM 1 PACKAGE OF FROZEN IN SYRUP STRAINED. RETAIN 1/4 CUP OF JUICE AND A DOZEN OR SO GOOD LOOKING BERRIES FOR GARNISH.

1/4 CUP MINCED SHALLOTS

1 TEASPOON GRATED GINGER ROOT

1/2 TEASPOON GRATED FRESH GARLIC

DRIED CRUSHED CHILIS OR CHOPPED JALEPANEO OR SIMULAR TO TASTE.

COUPLE DASHES WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE

2 OZ. DRY WHITE WINE

1/4 TEASPOON CHOPPED OR DRIED THYME

1 TABLESPOON FINELY CHOPPED CURLY LEAF PARSLEY

1/4 CUP PISTACHIO NUTS SHELLED

LIGHTLY SAUTE SHALLOTS , GINGER , GARLIC , AND PEPPERS OVER MED-LOW HEAT FOR 1 MINUTE THEN ADD PUREE , WINE , WORCESTERSHIRE AND THYME. SIMMER FOR 15 MINUTES. THEN ADD THE RETAINED JUICE. REMOVE FROM HEAT THEN TASTE FOR SALT.

CHICKEN
STEAM WHOLE BREASTS WITH SKIN. TAKE EACH HALF WITHOUT SKIN AND SLICE
DIAGONALLY 1/4 " KEEPING SLICES IN ORDER.
OVER MEDIUM HEAT SLOWLY SAUTE 1/4 " SLICES OF ZUCCHINI TILL SLIGHTLY TENDER.DO NOT COLOR.
ARRANGE CHICKEN SLICES WITH ZUCCHINI ALTERNATED ON PLATE OVERLAPPING MAINTAINING THE GENERAL SHAPE OF THE BREAST. PLACE A RASPBERRY ON TOP OF EACH ZUCCHINI SLICE CENTERED. POUR SAUCE AROUND CHICKEN CREATING AN ISLAND ON A RED SEA. SPRINKLE SAUCE ONLY WITH PARSLEY AND GENEROUS AMOUNT OF CHOPPED PISTACHIO NUTS.
GOES WELL WITH A TENDER LETTUCE SALAD HEAVILY LADEN WITH COURSE CHUNKS OF HERBED GARLIC CROÛTONS WITH A LEMON JUICE AND MINTED OLIVE OIL AND OREGANO SIMPLE DRESSING. MINTED OIL MEANS WARMED OIL THAT HAS HAD FRESH MINT LEAVES ADDED THEN STORED. KEEPS FOREVER. EMPTY WINE BOTTLE IS EXCELLENT.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm

A FEW OF MY RECIPES FROM THE DEANE HOUSE DAYS.
THE DEANE HOUSE IS A HISTORIC SITE IN CALGARY THAT HAS A CLASS DINING ROOM. THESE RECIPES WERE DONE FOR THE MURDER MYSTERY DINNERS WITH A WIDE OPEN MENU, ANYTHING WE WANTED TO DO.
4 OR 5 COURSE DINNERS. MANY TIMES THE MENU WAS NOT KNOWN UNTIL 6 HOURS BEFORE DINNER. OUR INNOVATIVE MENUS BECAME QUITE WELL KNOWN THANKS TO AN AMAZING KITCHEN STAFF AND AN UNDERSTANDING MANAGEMENT.

THESE RECIPES WERE NEVER WRITTEN DOWN SO THERE IS
NO MEASUREMENTS OR METHODS.
THINK OF THESE LIKE HERRINGS DICTIONARY STYLE RECIPES.
i HAVE COMPLETED MOST OF THESE AS ACTUAL RECIPES ON LATER PAGES IN THIS SECTION.

CURRIED SHRIMP AND RED GRAPE CHOWDER
A VERY LIGHT CURRY FLAVOR IN A FAIRLY HEAVY CREAM BASE LIKE A CLAM CHOWDER. LOTS OF COLOR IN VEGETABLES. STOP LIGHT PEPPERS (RED, YELLOW, GREEN), CELERY, MUSHROOMS, BABY RED POTATOES IN A SHRIMP STOCK WITH THE BABY SHRIMP AND RED GRAPES ADDED JUST BEFORE SERVING. THE RED GRAPES ARE CUT IN HALF, THEN MICROWAVED TO WARM UP. ADDING THE SHRIMPS AND GRAPES AT THE RIGHT TIME IS THE KEY. IF ADDED TOO SOON, THE GRAPES WILL COOK IN THE SOUP AND BECOME MUSHY AND ABSORB THE CURRY FLAVORS AND THE SHRIMP WILL TURN YELLOW FROM THE CURRY. THE GRAPES SHOULD GIVE A NOTICEABLE BURST OF JUICE IN THE MOUTH.
THIS CHOWDER BECAME VERY POPULAR IN A HURRY. IT WAS DONE FOR A MURDER MYSTERY DINNER THEATRE (@ $45 A PLATE) AND IS QUITE EXPENSIVE TO MAKE. I STARTED GETTING REQUESTS FOR IT AT LUNCH TIMES BUT THE COST MADE US CHARGE 3 TIMES OUR REGULAR SOUPS. THE PRICE DID NOT MATTER TO THE ONES WHO HAD TRIED IT.

ANOTHER WAS "PRAIRIE CHOWDER", 2 VARIATIONS, BUFFALO, RABBIT AND PHEASANT, THE OTHER RABBIT, PHEASANT AND SPECKLED TROUT. THE LATTER WAS THE BEST. BOTH WITH A BASE OF CORN, BARLEY, WILD SAGE, WATERCRESS, SWEETENED A BIT WITH WILD ROSE HIPS AND A FEW JUNIPER BERRIES IN A THICKENED STOCK FROM ALL 3 MEATS. SERVED WITH BANNOCK OR BAKING POWDER BISCUITS.

SALMON FILLET STUFFED WITH SLICED MOREL MUSHROOMS AND A SWEET SAUCE OF WILD ROSE HIPS. ROSE HIPS COOKED, STRAINED SWEETENED TO MAKE A RUNNY JAM.
JAM SAUCE CAN ALSO BE MORE SAVORY WITH MINCED SHALLOTS, GARLIC AND A TOUCH OF CAYENNE PEPPER.

MUSHROOM SOUP MADE FROM AN ASSORTMENT OF DRIED WILD MUSHROOMS AND A FEW FRESH VARIETIES. A CLEAR VEGETABLE STOCK WITH SOME WHITE MUSHROOM IS BEST FOR THIS. A STOCK FROM THE WILD MUSHROOMS IS TOO OVER-POWERING. MINCED STOP LIGHT PEPPERS FOR COLOR, LIGHTLY SEASONED AND THICKENED WITH CORN STARCH. USUALLY ABOUT 6 - 8 VARIETIES OF MUSHROOMS. DRIED WILD MUSHROOMS ARE VERY STRONG IN FLAVORS, USE SPARINGLY. THERE IS NO CREAM OR MILK PRODUCTS.

LIVER AS AN ENTRE' IN A CLASS DINING ROOM ??? THIN SLICED CALF LIVER ROLLED AROUND A FEW SPEARS OF ASPARAGUS, THEN BREADED IN COURSE TOASTED BREAD CRUMBS VERY LIGHTLY FLAVORED WITH CUMIN AND CURRY, PAN FRIED, SERVED WITH A LIGHTLY THICKENED BEEF CONSOMME', RED WINE SAUCE. IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR A 3rd PLACE IN A CANADA WIDE COOKING CONTEST BACK MORE THAN 30 YEARS AGO.

SKINNED CHICKEN BREAST STUFFED WITH THE OLDEST AND SMELLIEST CHEDDAR CHEESE AVAILABLE THEN FLOURED, MILK AND EGG BATH AND COATED WITH CRUSHED PECANS. BAKED. SAUCE OF CREAMED HONEY AND FRANGELLICO HAZELNUT LIQUEUR OVER GARNISH OF WHOLE PECANS.

VEAL TENDERLOIN MEDALLIONS WITH A HEAVY CREAM, WHITE WINE AND WHITE MUSHROOM SAUCE. A LONG TIME FAVORITE.

PORK STRIPLOIN LARDED (STUFFED) WITH WALNUTS, PITTED APRICOTS, BLACK CHERRIES AND BACON FAT. POACHED IN A LITRE OF APPLE CIDER WITH A CLOVE OF GARLIC AND A BAY LEAF. ONCE TENDER, QUICKLY BROWNED IN BUTTER, SLICED AND SERVED WITH THE THICKENED POACHING LIQUID. A SIDE OF PICKLED APPLE SLICES OR PICKLED CRAB APPLES GOES NICELY.

MARINATED SALAD OF YELLOW POTATO AND CARROT 1/4" FRENCH FRIES BLANCHED TILL SLIGHTLY CRISP, RED AND GREEN PEPPER RINGS, CHERRY TOMATOES, QUARTER SLICES OF ENGLISH CUCUMBER OR ZUCCHINI, CELERY, PICKLED PEARL ONIONS (DRAINED), CHOPPED CURLY PARSLEY. MARINATED IN OLIVE OIL, CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE, OREGANO, GARLIC FOR AT LEAST 8 HOURS. SPRINKLE CHOPPED TOASTED ALMONDS OVER TOP FOR GARNISH.

DEHYDRATED STRAWBERRIES FINE CHOPPED, ADDED TO EGG WHITE MERANGE ON TOP OF STRAWBERRY, RASPBERRY AND BLUEBERRY PIE FILLING IN A DARK CHOCOLATE AND GRAHAM CRUMB CRUST. SHAVED WHITE CHOCOLATE CURLS SPRINKLED ON TOP AFTER QUICK BROWNING MERANGE AND COOLING.

HAWAIIAN TRUFFLES (SIMILAR TO FERRARO ROCHET ONLY BETTER) MAKE LOTS !
WHOLE LARGE MACADAMIA NUTS DIPPED IN DARK CHOCOLATE (COOLED BETWEEN EVERY COAT ON COOKIE SHEET IN FREEZER), THEN DIP IN THICK CHOCOLATE GANACHE (CHOCOLATE AND HEAVY CREAM) IN 2 COATS, ADD A BIT OF PEANUT BUTTER TO GANACHE THEN ONE MORE COAT, ONE MORE COAT OF DARK CHOCOLATE, DIP IN MELTED CARAMELS AND ROLL IN FINE CHOPPED COCONUT AND COCOA POWDER MIX. SHOULD BE ABOUT 3/4" TO 1" IN DIAMETER. KEEP REFRIGERATED.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:43 pm

WITH MY EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE IN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY I HAVE WATCHED A FEW SMALL COMPANIES GROW INTO LARGE GROWING CONCERNS. AS WELL AS A FEW GO DOWN HILL TILL EXTINCTION.

THE FIRST IS BERNARD CALLEBAUT CHOCOLATE. A MASTER CHOCOLATIER WITH MANY WORLD CLASS AWARDS. I STARTED USING HIS CHOCOLATE IN COMMERCIAL CANDY BARS ( 5 KG BLOCKS ) AT THE DEANE HOUSE IN THE LATE 80'S. HE HAD A LITTLE HOLE IN THE WALL SHOP ON 17 AVE SE. WHICH IS STILL OPEN AS A SHOP ONLY, NOT A FACTORY. NOW HE HAS SPREAD ACROSS MOST OF CANADA AND INTO THE STATES WITH 32 STORES.
I WAS GIVEN THE GRAND TOUR OF THE ORIGINAL OPERATION AND WELCOMED BACK A NUMBER OF TIMES. I WAS A FAVORITE GUINEA PIG FOR HIS NEW FLAVORS OF CHOCOLATES AND HE TOOK MY COMMENTS SERIOUSLY. I HAVEN'T SEEN HIM IN QUITE SOME TIME DUE TO HIS BEING ALL OVER MINDING HIS STORES. AFTER TRYING MANY CHOCOLATE MAKERS NO ONE MATCHES UP TO THE CONSISTENT QUALITY
OF BERNARD. HE REALLY IS THE WORLDS BEST AT THE FILLED CHOCOLATES.
http://www.bernardcallebaut.com/users/folder.asp
In the world of big business Bernard was eventually forced out of his company and at last word had a small shop in south Calgary doing what he does best.

CHOCOLATE LOVERS !!!
https://www.sochoklat.com/index.asp
CHOKLAT 1327A 9th Avenue SE
THIS IS ANOTHER CHOCOLATE PLACE TO KEEP AN EYE ON. MADE TO ORDER TRUFFLES AND INCREDIBLE BARS OF SELECT CHOCOLATES. THESE CHOCOLATE BARS (4 TYPES AT PRESENT) ARE EACH MADE FROM ONE SOURCE. Brazilian Estate 70% Dark, Cuyagua 70% Dark, Porcelana Grand Cru 70% Dark, Ocumare Grand Cru 80% Dark ALL VERY EXQUISITE AND VERY DISTINCT IN FLAVOR. CONSIDER THE DIFFERENCES IN TASTE OF COFFEES FROM AROUND THE WORLD.
i FEEL THEY HAVE A GREAT CHANCE IN GRABBING THE CONNOISSEUR CORNER OF THE MARKET BUT MORE SELECTION WOULD HELP A LOT. i HEARD A RUMOR THAT THEY ARE PLANNING ON EXPANDING WITH MORE OUTLETS. THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE IN CANADA THAT ROASTS, GRINDS AND MILLS THEIR OWN CHOCOLATE BEANS.

ANOTHER I HAVE SEEN GROW INTO A PRETTY GOOD LITTLE CHAIN OF RESTAURANTS IS CALLED "JOEY'S ONLY". A FISH AND CHIP PLACE. THEY STARTED IN ANOTHER LITTLE HOLE IN THE WALL ON THE SAME 17 AVE AS BERNARD A FEW BLOCKS AWAY. I DID SOME SOUND SYSTEM SETUP AND REPAIRS FOR THEM WHEN IT WAS JUST THE ONE STORE. NOW THERE ARE OVER 100 STORES ACROSS NORTH AMERICA. THERE IS ALSO A DIVISION CALLED TENNESSEE JACK'S THAT IS GROWING RAPIDLY. THEY ARE NOW CANADA'S LARGEST FISH AND CHIP COMPANY. I CHATTED WITH Joe Klassen FOUNDER ON A FEW OCCASIONS.
I STILL FREQUENT JOEY'S ONLY BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST FISH AND CHIPS AROUND.
http://www.joeys-only.com/index.vhtml

BOYD'S SEAFOOD DESERVES A BIT. THEY WERE A SMALL SHOP ON 14 ST A BLOCK FROM JOEY'S ONLY. THEY ARE STILL THERE AS A FAST FOOD STYLE SEAFOOD BUT THERE USED TO BE THE MAIN RETAIL OUTLET THERE. THEY HAVE ADDED A CLASSY FULL SERVICE SEAFOOD DINING ROOM ON McLEOD TR S. I'M NOT SURE WHERE THEIR MAIN RETAIL IS NOW BUT THE DINING ROOM GETS MY BUSINESS WHEN I CRAVE SOME SHELL FISH. THEY FLY IN FRESH EVERYDAY. MUSSELS, SCALLOPS,CRAB AND LOBSTER ARE ALL FABULOUS.
THEY SAY THEY ARE KNOWN FOR THEIR FISH AND CHIPS BUT I PREFER JOEY'S ONLY FOR THAT. A DIFFERENT STYLE OF BATTER. JOEY'S IS A THICK ENGLISH BATTER WHILE BOYD'S IS A LIGHTER TEMPURA STYLE BATTER.
http://www.calgaryplus.ca/home/boyd_s_seafood_restaurant/72923
I heard recently that they closed the restaurant on Mcleod Tr. The lobster shop on 14 St SW is still there.

SKYLINE HOTELS IS ANOTHER. I WORKED AT BROCKVILLE ONTARIO SKYLINE WHEN THERE WAS 7 HOTELS IN THE WHOLE CHAIN. NOW PART OF SHERATON INNS AND ALL OVER THE WORLD. WHILE THERE I DID LINE CHEF. BANQUET CHEF, MAITRE DE.

WHITE SPOT STEAK HOUSES WAS ANOTHER CHAIN THAT WENT THE OTHER DIRECTION.
STEVE PAPPAS WAS THE OWNER AND FOUNDER. HE BUILT IT UP FROM ONE IN DOWNTOWN CALGARY. I BELIEVE THERE WERE 12 OR 13 IN THE PROVINCE. MOST IN CALGARY. A FEW OF THEM WERE EXTREMELY BUSY. ONE I WAS BROILER CHEF IN, WE AVERAGED 1500 STEAKS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT PLUS ALL THE OTHER MENU ITEMS. USUALLY OVER 2000 PEOPLE A NIGHT. THEN STEVE NEEDED TO RETIRE AND HANDED IT OVER TO HIS SON AND THE BUSINESS WAS NEVER THE SAME AFTER THAT. QUALITY WENT DOWN THEN THEY STARTED CLOSING UP AND OPENING UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME WHICH DIDN'T LAST LONG. OLD MAN STEVE REALLY KNEW HIS STEAKS AND INSISTED ON CONSISTENCY BY TEACHING EVERY BROILER CHEF HIS METHOD PERSONALLY. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND ANOTHER PLACE THAT CAN SATISFY MY STEAK CRAVINGS. NOW WHEN I WANT A STEAK I FIRE UP THE BBQ AND PULL OUT THE GARLIC BUTTER AND LAWRY'S SEASONING SALT. THE 2 INGREDIENTS THAT MADE STEVE'S STEAKS THE BEST. I STILL FOLLOW STEVE'S METHOD EXACTLY AS TAUGHT. I JUST WISH I COULD AGE THE BEEF AS LONG AS THEY DID. THEIR BEEF (ALBERTA) WAS AGED FOR 30 DAYS IN A CONTROLLED TEMPERATURE. THE BEEF WAS DARKER IN COLOUR THAN "FRESH STORE BOUGHT" BECAUSE OF THE AGING.

ANOTHER THAT WENT THE SAME DIRECTION WAS THE CANADIAN BRANCH OF
"BOB'S HAMBURGERS". STAN BERNARD WAS A COUSIN OF THE FAMILY IN CALIFORNIA THAT STARTED THE ORIGINAL BOB'S CHAIN DOWN THERE. HE STARTED A CHAIN BASED IN CALGARY AND ENDED UP WITH MAYBE 10 STORES ALL TOGETHER. I WAS CHEF AT THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION BRANCH 285 WHEN I MET A FEW PEOPLE FROM A LOCAL BOB'S. IT WAS A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER THAT I GOT INVOLVED IN SETTING UP A FULL SERVICE RESTAURANT IN NELSON BC AS A PROTOTYPE TO EXPAND THE CHAIN. I WAS CHEF AND DOUG BERNARD (A COUSIN FROM THE CALIFORNIA FAMILY) AS MANAGER. IT WAS A CASE OF BEING IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME WHILE TRYING TO CONVINCE FAST FOOD MANAGEMENT HOW A FULL SERVICE SHOULD WORK. I DIDN'T LAST TOO LONG AND NEITHER DID THE RESTAURANT. IT WENT BELLY UP IN A YEAR. THE CHAIN OF BOB'S NEVER RECOVERED AFTER THAT AND THE FAST FOOD STORES STARTED CLOSING. I THINK THEY SUNK A LOT OF MONEY INTO NELSON BC AS A LAST ATTEMPT BEFORE GOING UNDER.

PETERS' DRIVE-IN
http://www.petersdrivein.com/index.html MORE THAN 35 YEARS AND STILL GOING STRONG. ONE OF THE CITY'S LANDMARKS.
I HAD MY FIRST BURGER THERE IN 73 AND THEY HAVEN'T CHANGED A BIT. THE ONLY THING HE GETS PREMADE IS THE BUNS. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SCRATCH MADE FRESH DAILY. THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY FAST FOOD I KNOW OF AND STILL DONE THE WAY IT WAS IN 64.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Handmade Japanese Knives - Spanish Cleavers - Cooking Inspired Streetwear
http://knifewear.com/index.htm

THEY ARE MADE IN THE JAPANESE TRADITION THAT WERE USED FOR SAMURAI SWORDS.
2 OR MORE TYPES OF STEEL FOLDED AND FORGED. THERE ARE 5 MAIN BRANDS FROM $70 TO OVER 600 AND BEYOND FOR A SINGLE KNIFE.
I WAS A CHEF FOR 22 YEARS AND HAD HENCKEL KNIVES AND ZANGER'S.
I SAW AND USED A FEW CUSTOM MADE CHEF KNIVES OVER THE YEARS BUT
I HAVE NEVER SEEN QUALITY AND HAND-CRAFTMANSHIP LIKE THESE.
ANYONE IN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY THAT APPRECIATES QUALITY THAT WILL
LAST A LIFETIME SHOULD LOOK AT THESE. THE CHEAPEST CHEF KNIFE OF THE "BEST CLAD" BRAND MAKES A 5 STAR HENCKEL FEEL LIKE A WALMART SPECIAL. THE TOP END OF THE PRICE SCALE IS FOR PURISTS WITH A FEEL THAT GAVE ME SHIVERS. BEAUTIFUL.
OF COURSE BECAUSE THEY ARE JAPANESE KNIVES THERE IS ALSO TRUE SUSHI KNIVES IN LEFT AND RIGHT HAND.
ALSO A FANTASTIC GIFT TO ANY CAREER CHEF.
KEVIN ALSO HAS A SHARPENING SERVICE, SPECIALIZING IN JAPANESE KNIVES. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHARPEN A KNIFE PROPERLY, THIS GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF AND RECOMMENDED.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Next

Return to BODY AND BRAIN FOOD