Welcome
Welcome to UNCLE ZAP'S AUDIO ZAP & INFO DEPOT

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

PUPPY LINUX

COMPUTER RELATED STUFF,
PUPPY LINUX
THE SCIENCES

WHAT O/S DO YOU RUN ???

WINDOWS 7
20%
VISTA
No votes
XP
20%
95,98, 2000
No votes
PUPPY
20%
UBUNTU
20%
LINUX
20%
LINUX 64
No votes
MAC
No votes
OTHER (PLEASE SPECIFY) IN PUPPY TOPIC
No votes

Total votes : 5

PUPPY LINUX

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:16 am

PUPPY CANADIAN STYLE
A NOTE FROM ERIC OF PUPPY.CA
I started a forum thread for people to post download stats for my server. Look here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28167

If you and your group would be so kind to post your stats for me it would help me find bottlenecks and problems with my server.

SUPPORT CANADIAN
Puppy Linux.ca
AMD 4.7 Ghz Octi-core, 32 g ram

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Highscores: 23

Re: PUPPY LINUX

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 pm

PUPPY LINUX FORUM
THE FIRST PLACE TO LOOK FOR ANSWERS.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

PUPPY LINUX SONG

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:35 pm

"Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:35 pm

WHAT IF THE STARSHIP ENTERPRISE TRIED TO RUN ON WIN XP??

http://wiki.arklinux.org/Microsoft_Trek

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:37 pm

DOWNLOAD PUPPY LINUX VERSION 3.01
ALL VERSIONS ALSO AVAILABLE AT
PUPPYLINUX.CA

FROM MY COLLECTION
PUPPY 3.01 98.75 MB

PUPPY 4.00 DINGO 88 MB

BURN THE ISO IMAGE TO CD/DVD AND BOOT UP
THIS WORKS AS A LIVE CD SO NOTHING IS CHANGED ON YOUR COMPUTER
UNLESS YOU WANT TO INSTALL IT TO HARDDRIVE, USB FLASH.
SOME INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOW BELOW

devx IS ADDED TO THE CD IN ORDER TO
COMPILE PROGRAMS FROM THE LIVE CD
NOT NEEDED FOR NORMAL USE. CAN BE ADDED AFTER INSTALL

3.01 SERIES
DEVX 3.01.SFS

4.00 SERIES
DEVX 4.00.SFS

AN ICE WINDOW MANAGER FOR A COOLER LOOK
EZPUP FOR THE 3.01 SERIES
EZPUP 3.01.PET
OR EZPUP 3.01.PET

EZPUP FOR THE 4.00 SERIES

EZpup-4.0.pet

A NEW VERSION OF PUPPY THE IS 4.00 SERIES. (04/20/08)
A BIT SMALLER, SLICKER, FASTER AND SMOOTHER.
BETTER PACKAGE MANAGER.
IT HANDLES DUO CORE AND QUAD CORE CPU'S
THE 3.00 SERIES WILL CONTINUE AS WELL.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 pm

MY OPINIONS OF PUPPY LINUX
I STARTED USING PUPPY DEC 2006. I STARTED WITH VERSION 2.12 THEN UPDATED TO 2.14, 2.16 THEN 3.01
AND NOW PUPPY DINGO 4.00 BETA1

FACTS:
PUPPY 3.01 SIZE 100 MB
PUPPY DINGO 4.00 SIZE 84 MB
PUPPY LINUX IS A SMALL DISTRO AROUND 100 MB IN SIZE. IT IS MEANT TO RUN AS A LIVE CD OR FOR FULL INSTALL USING CD, DVD, USB FLASH DRIVE OR NETWORK BOOT. IN LIVE CD MODE IT LOADS THE WHOLE DISTRO INTO RAM MEMORY ONLY SO PUPPY RUNS VERY FAST AND DOES NOT AFFECT THE COMPUTER, HARD DRIVE OR O/S. YOU CAN SAVE ALL YOUR PREFERENCES ONTO THE CD AT SHUTDOWN THEN YOU HAVE YOUR COMPUTER ON THE CD. NO MATTER WHAT MACHINE IT WILL LOOK LIKE YOUR OWN. THINK OF IT. ALL YOUR BOOKMARKS, DESKTOP BACKGROUND PICTURE, MOUSE AND KEYBOARD SETTINGS. AT ONLY 100 MB ON A CD THERE IS LOTS OF ROOM LEFT OVER FOR FAVORITE PROGRAMS, ETC. A DVD HOLDS MORE THAN HARD DRIVES DID FROM 10 YEARS AGO.
I STARTED RUNNING PUPPY IN DEC 2006 AFTER CONTINUALLY GETTING UPSET AND FRUSTRATED WITH WINDOWS. I HAD BEEN USING WINDOWS SINCE THE DAYS OF 3.11 AND PROGRESSED THROUGH ALL VERSIONS RIGHT UP TO VISTA THEN BACK DOWN TO XP LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE THAT DOESN'T HAVE A NEW HIGH END MACHINE. VISTA WAS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE FOR ME WITH MY 1.667 GHZ AMD WITH 1 GIG OF RAM.
SINCE PUPPY I DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED OR MAD AT MY COMPUTE BECAUSE IT JUST DOES EVERYTHING I WANT IT TO, WITH NO DRAMA OR REQUESTING UPDATES. MANY THANKS TO MY BROTHER FOR TURNING ME ONTO PUPPY.
I HAVE BEEN USING PUPPY LIKE ANY OTHER O/S. FULLY INSTALLED ONTO MY HD. AFTER FORMATTING THE HD FROM LIVE PUPPY THE INSTALL TAKES ABOUT 15 MINUTES. 17 MINUTES AND YOU'LL BE ONLINE SURFING. BOOT UP TIME FOR PUPPY 3.01 ON MY MACHINE IS 37 SECONDS. XP WAS CLOSE TO 2 MINUTES AND VISTA WAS A FAIR BIT LONGER. ONCE INSTALLED PUPPY IS ABOUT 100 MB, XP IS ABOUT 2.5 G AND VISTA IS AROUND 6 G.
ABOUT THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO DO UPON FIRST BOOT IS CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. WITH HIGH SPEED CABLE THIS IS PAINLESS AND TAKES ABOUT 30 SECONDS. THE DEFAULT DESKTOP PIC AT 1ST BOOT GIVES SOME INSTRUCTIONS TO GET YOU GOING.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 pm

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE SITES CONNECTED TO PUPPY LINUX

puppylinux.org

murga-linux.com

ibiblio.org

debian.org

gnu.org

tmxxine.com

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 pm

THIS IS FOR ANYBODY WANTING A CHANGE FROM WINDOWS AND ALL ITS HASSLES, UPDATES AND EXTRA COSTS.
THE VIRTUES OF PUPPY-
VERY SMALL 90 MB COMPARED TO 1.5G OR MORE FOR XP. NO MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. PUPPY WILL RUN ON AN ANCIENT 486 133MHZ OR A 166MHZ MONOCHROME LAPTOP (AT LEAST THATS THE WORST EQUIPMENT I HAVE TRIED IT ON). ON THE 486 PUPPY RAN AS GOOD AS WIN XP ON MY AMD 1.667 GHZ WITH 1 G RAM. (YOU SHOULD SEE HOW FAST THE AMD IS WITH PUPPY, ...SMOKIN)
A GOOD INTRODUCTION GUIDE TO PUPPY. http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=PuppyLinux

BURNCDCC IS THE BEST PROGRAM TO USE TO BURN AN .ISO FILE e.g. puppy-3.01-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso TO CD OR DVD. I RECOMMEND THE 3.01 SEAMONKEY FULLDRIVERS VERSION TO START WITH. THERE ARE QUITE A FEW NEW VERSIONS AVAILABLE
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html BURNCDCC WORKS IN WINDOWS BTW. SO START WITH BURNCDCC FIRST.
LATEST VERSION IS DINGO PUPPY 4.00 BETA1
THE PUPPY 3.01 ISO FILE IS AT http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=1
I ALSO RECOMMEND DEVX 3.01.SFS FOR INSTALLING PROGRAMS AND COMPILING. (ADD IT ONTO THE CD AFTER ITS BURNED) http://s3.amazonaws.com/puppy/index.html
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH PUPPY HAVE SHOWN THAT IT IS PROBABLY BEST TO DO A FULL INSTALL TO YOUR HD, THAT IS FOR THE AVERAGE USER. BUT KEEP THE CD - DVD HANDY. ITS GREAT FOR A TROUBLESHOOTING TOOL NO MATTER WHAT O/S IS ON THE SYSTEM. I HAVE SAVED FILES AND A FEW COMPUTES FROM THE TRASH HEAP. YOU CAN BOOT UP WITH IT ON ANYBODY'S COMPUTE AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE JUST REBOOT BACK INTO THE SYSTEM'S O/S AND IT DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING ON THE SYSTEM. BESIDES USING A CD OR DVD IT CAN BE LOADED ONTO A FLASH DRIVE OR USB CARD OR A FLASH CARD LIKE FROM A DIGITAL CAMERA TO FIT ON YOUR POCKET. ALL YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCES AND BOOKMARKS GO WITH YOU AND WHEN YOU BOOT UP ON ANOTHER SYSTEM IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR OWN, YOU CAN USE PUPPY WITH NO HARD DRIVE SINCE IT BOOTS FROM THE CD AND RUNS IN MEMORY WHEN BOOTED FROM THE LIVE CD. SO ABSOLUTE SYSTEM MINIMUM WOULD BE A MOTHERBOARD, CPU, AT LEAST 128 MB OF MEMORY AND A CD ROM.
OH MY OH MY. I COULD BABBLE ON FOR HOURS ABOUT PUPPY. NEXT TIME WINDOWS WANTS TO UPDATE SOMETHING THINK OF PUPPY. GIVE IT A TRY, ALL IT WILL COST YOU IS A CD AND A BIT OF TIME. I NOW HAVE 4 COMPUTERS IN TOTAL RUNNIN IT AND PERFORMANCE IS AMAZING.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME OR POST HERE ON ANY QUESTIONS.

LATER
DR.Z

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Next

Return to TECH TALKIN