Welcome
Welcome to UNCLE ZAP'S AUDIO ZAP & INFO DEPOT

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Makin Pipe

CARVINGS & WOODWORK, GRAPHICS, LOGOS, ART,
OPTICAL ILLUSIONS,
FUNNY PICS AND VIDS

Makin Pipe

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Some pipes are for sale. $30.00 plus S&H Contact me here to arrange pipe list and setup purchase. The last pages will be what could be available.
(The present government does not allow sales of paraphernalia directly.)

One of my many hobbies.
Most are exotic woods, some with lids, some with unique lids and hinges, some are from scrap wood. Many are simply an experiment to see if its possible.
Many are laminated to play with colours and contrasts.
Some features designed into the latest pipes include flat bottom for loading stability,
3/8" draw hole for loads of air movement,
some Oil Rigs featuring hollow oil pin storage in draw hole, lids and storage for 1 to 5 gram vials.
AMD 4.7 Ghz Octi-core, 32 g ram

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Highscores: 23

Re: Makin Pipe

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:38 pm

ALL MADE FROM SCRAP MATERIALS

MY LATEST "FATBOTTOM" STYLE
BIRCH, DARK PHILIPPINE MAHOGANY MY FIRST WITH THE DARK MAHOGANY. THE GRAIN REALLY LIGHTS UP AT THE RIGHT ANGLE

BIRCH, PHILIPPINE MAHOGANY, 1/4" FIR PLY AND SPRUCE
THIS PHILIPPINE MAHOGANY ( I THINK ) IS A BEAUTIFUL WOOD. THE LIGHT REFLECTS BACK FROM DEEP INSIDE. I HAVE A COUPLE OF PIECES PUT AWAY.

NOTE THE MAHOGANY WITH THE LIGHT AT A DIFFERENT ANGLE, VERY FINE GRAIN, THE MOTTLED STRIPES IN THE 2 PICS ABOVE ARE NOT VISIBLE AT ALL, WHICH ARE DUE TO THE ANGLES IN THE SHAPE.
THE PIC IN THE BACKGROUND IS THE LAMINATED BLOCK I STARTED WITH, EDGES SANDED JUST FOR A PEEK BUT BEFORE ANY CUTTING.

MY FIRST FATBOTTOM
OAK, MAHOGANY, BIRCH, ASH AND ASHES

1ST LAMINATED AND 2ND LAMINATED
IST IS CEDAR DOOR FRAME WEDGES AND PLASTIC SHEET.
2ND IS MAHOGANY, ASH, ALUMINUM, BLACK AND WHITE PLASTIC SHEET

ASH AND MAHOGANY

ASH, MAHOGANY, ALUMINUM, BRASS AND WHITE, BLACK, CLEAR PLASTIC
TOO MUCH METAL. IT WAS VERY TOUGH TO WORK.

ASH, MAHOGANY AND PLASTIC.

AN ASSORTMENT OF WOOD SCRAPS WITH SWIVEL LID. GOOD POCKET PIPE
THE THIN WHITE STRIPS ARE FROM THE PHILIPPINE MAHOGANY WHICH WAS COATED ONE SIDE WITH WHITE MELEMINE PAINT. PRE-FINISHED INTERIOR DOOR TRIM
THE MAHOGANY HAS A VERY FINE STRAIGHT GRAIN. THE BACK SIDE OF THE TRIM JUST ABOUT LOOKS LIKE ORIENTATED STRAND PARTICLE BOARD. THE ANGLE CUTS MAKE THE GRAIN STAND OUT.

LID OPEN . LID LOCKS IN PLACE WHEN CLOSED

ANOTHER MAHOGANY AND FIR PLY

ANOTHER MIXED MATERIAL WITH A SWIVEL LID, PIN IN BOTTOM OF LID FITS GROOVE LIMITING TRAVEL.
MADE FOR A NEPHEW

This one made for a buddy is the Philippine mahogany in two pieces laminated. End cap is acrylic and slider ring is cut from pill bottle sliding on matching taper.

Cedar wedges and birch veneer for pocket pipe and bowl area of lidded pipe. Stem and lid are Brazilian mahogany. Leather pouch with wood base for Vap pipe.
4 screens in lid for vaporizer effect, one screen below, lid can also be used as additional bigger bowl. Includes ash stirrer with hollow tube to allow toking with or without removal.

This pic shows the two pipes were made from one piece of laminated cedar and birch. The Brazilian mahogany stem was from a pen project that never got done just shaped and drilled.

Spaulted Oak - I cut these pieces from a dead 1" diameter tree while camping with my son and grandson. Note dark lines in wood (spaulting)

Spruce and birch veneer. Metal slide is valve for clearing out the interior chamber after toke.
Whats inside

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:39 pm

The Oil Rig
Holds 5 gram vial and oil pin. Vial locks lid closed and lid hinge holds vial in place

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Junkbox Oil Rig
Boxwood, 1/8" birch ply, cedar, mahogany lid.
Stores 1 Gram screw top oil vial.
All scrap wood, I used cedar shingle to fill in routed cuts.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Boxwood, cedar and 1/8" birch ply
Also holds 1 or 2.5 gram screw top vial

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Incomplete. This one is a fail as far as I'm concerned. The lid idea is pretty good but very difficult to get it sliding nice without slop. There is one too many layers, the dark wood in the bowl area, it would have been better without that but I started out with a different idea for a lid. Nice wood too, red cedar, mahogany and Shedua. It will get finished eventually but it will likely get given to someone, I don't care for it because its so tall and bulky, hardly a decent pocket pipe. More shaping will trim it down elsewhere but not much more can be taken off the lid area, the pegs will be trimmed down to near flush for fingertip handles. This one gave me the idea for a Roll Top Lid on my next one and will use the same woods. This one turned out to be more of a prototype to iron out some complications in my design. I may try this style again but much smaller. I will add a photo of this one here when its finally finished.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:42 pm

The Roll Top
Another oil rig of 3 woods, Red Cedar, Mahogany and Shedua. Roll top came out pretty good other than the overall height and width.
This one holds a 1 gram screw top vial and a screw in oil pin.
The bottom was added to keep the roll top from coming out the bottom and was a random cut from scrap ply,
the grain pattern was the only bit of visible grain on the whole sheet and I did not notice it till after on pipe and given a coat of clear to protect it.
Oh Ya
Happy Birthday Brother

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:42 pm

The Slider
Oil Rig with sliding top. Red Cedar and Mahogany, top layer cross grain, bottom layer with grain. Lid is Cedar, Mahogany and Shedua.
Hole for vial actually reaches into draw tube but lid seals up for smoking.
Damn, Damn, Damn. Great looking pipe with very unique lid but I am finding the lid is quite loose and hard to keep tighter and the ashes get under the lid and make opening and closing difficult.
I love the idea but this one is a fail as far as I'm concerned. Not sure yet about the roll top above but should know soon enough. A hinged lid seems the most logical way to go.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Slidenpivot SOLD!!!

Same 3 woods, cedar, mahogany and shedua. Lid is neat design but difficult to get smooth lid movement without excessive play. Lid has to slide first then pivoted.

GREEN UP OUR PLANET
SADIE'S DOG PLACE
DJ Phinx 1
zappdog
Site Admin

Postby zappdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Black N Tan SOLD!!!

Shedua, Birch ply with Wenge lid